On 27 August 2014 21:37, SomeoneElse <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
> On 27/08/2014 17:47, Edward Betts wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to annotate these 70k objects in OSM with a Wikidata tag
>> automatically.
>>

> Perhaps it's worth explaining the benefits of having a link to a wikidata
> item on an OSM item?

What, again? ;-)

For example:

Wikidata has data on each of these entiti which eitherisnt in OSM
(who's the ayor of this town/ vicar of this church?) or which acts as
a csanity check for what is in OSM (We can generate lists where the
two disagree, for humans to check and fix).

Wikidata has multi-lingual labels for many objects, which OSM
renderers can fetch via the Wikidata link.

What disadvantages do you forsee?

> When this was discussed previously
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2014-June/thread.html#16096
>
> and
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-June/thread.html#70032
>
> I think that it would be fair to describe the reaction as "somewhat
> sceptical" (both to the potential benefits of adding the tags at all, and
> around an automatic import of them).

I think the issue raised have been addressed; which do you feel have not been?

> an important part of things in OSM is surely that they are on-the-ground
> verifiable - wikipedia has articles for villages in the UK that don't exist,
> as do the OS OpenData StreetView maps, and people have added garbage data
> from both to OSM.  How do we know that the wikidata items for which links
> are added are accurate?

That sounds much like an edge case - a extreme-edge case, at that. How
many such villages are mapped in OSM? Isn't that what needs fixing?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing