On Do, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:35:59 +0100, Craig Wallace wrote:
> On 2014-08-28 11:20, Maarten Deen wrote:
> >On 2014-08-28 12:10, Richard Z. wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>noticed that there is
> >>
> >>https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:maxspeed%3D20&redirect=no
> >>
> >>and a few more speeds - does it make any sense to have such
> >>pages around?
> >
> >If you take a look at the "what links here" link from the wiki you'll
> >see what they are used for. In this case almost all pages about Kosmos
> >rules, but also some other.
> >The thing is that if you add something as a tag in wikipedia
> >({{tag|maxspeed|15}}), you'll automatically get a link to a wiki page
> >for that tag. And since it is pretty senseless to have a seperate page
> >for every different speed limit, they are redirected to a general page
> >about the maxspeed tag.
> >
> >I would leave them in.
>
> For the wiki, you should use the tag template like {{tag|maxspeed||20}}
> ie 2 | vertical bars after the key. Then it doesn't create a link to the
> value.
>
> But there's nothing wrong with redirect pages on the wiki anyway. It helps
> people find the correct page, and avoids creating duplicates.

Redirect pages can have a bad effect, though. Taginfo will show if a wiki page
exists for a key or tag. Taginfo can't know why there is a redirect. Is this a
case where the redirect directs from a "typo page" to the "real page" or is
this a case where, like in the maxspeed case, several pages for totally
good tags have been rolled into one. So taginfo shows them all the same and
might lead people into thinking the "typo key" is the real one, if they don't
click through to the page.

The problem behind this is that there is no way to mark the reason why there is
a redirect. It could be "old now discontinued name", or "common misspelling",
or "this page would be basically a copy of this other one, so look there", or
probably some other reasons. Redirects hide this information, that could be
written down on the page instead. So I think redirects should be avoided. In
particular, misspellings would be better handled by having a slightly fuzzy
search (not sure how good MediaWiki is for that).

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  joc...@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298