From: Seth Fitzsimmons <s...@stamen.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: Field Papers web app source code hosted at GitHub currently
subject to DMCA takedown and not accessible
To: jayare...@gmail.com
Cc: talk...@openstreetmap.org, talk@openstreetmap.org, jayare...@gmail.com,
e...@stamen.com

We did not know about this; thank you for making us aware.  Apparently DMCA
takedowns don't result in corresponding email notifications.

Here's what we're planning on doing:

* Eric Gelinas (cc'd) has contacted GitHub about getting the repository
reinstated so that we can push up a sanitized version and have the takedown
taken down. Hopefully this will be straightforward; if not, we may have to
get our lawyer involved and file a counter-notice to the effect that we're
no longer infringing.
* Eric is in the process of removing the offending content (Helvetica,
ironically enough) from the repo.
* I'm letting Mike Migurski know, as his walkingpapers repo is the parent,
and there may be complications associated with fieldpapers being a fork.

This is what it means for users of the repo / forks:

* You'll need to re-clone stamen/fieldpapers, as none of the commit IDs
will line up after sanitization.

This is what it means for users of Field Papers:

* Nothing. The offending content is not accessible via the web site, so
there's no justification for a DMCA takedown of Field Papers itself.

Thanks for your understanding.

seth