IMHO it is much better - on low zoom levels maps is now less cluttered
and on high zoom levels POIs are now more visible.
+1

Honestly I love this simple grey for buildings. I think they are visible enough, but don't stick out too much. Which in my opinion is exactly how it is supposed to be as buildings of course should be visible, but aren't as important as other POIs or landmarks.

Now I look at my village and the village square and various POIs really pop out and nothing gets lost. Even streets and other landuses seem to stand out more.