I was just preparing for my trip to SOTM-US and ran across something
in the fine print that caught me by surprise so I thought I'd share.
The email from the conference organizers made a note that we can not
take "large" backpacks into the building. I assumed this meant you
couldn't take the kind of backpack you would use for a weekend hike
but that a standard school backpack was ok. But then I found the UN's
security web page[1] and it gives a maximum size for all bags as:
14" (35cm) wide x 13" (33cm) high x 4" (10cm) deep

That is *TINY*! I mean even most Hello Kitty backpacks for children
are 16" tall. My laptop bag exceeds this size. I'm pretty sure I've
seen purses larger than this.

So now I'm sitting here trying to decide if I need to go buy a smaller
laptop bag tomorrow. Or does anyone know if perhaps registered
conference attendees are allowed slightly larger items than the
general population coming in for a tour? Or maybe they'll let an inch
or two slide? If they enforce it strictly, they probably have bins
that are exactly this size that everything has to fit into to go
through the x-ray machine...

Anyway, I guess pack light and I hope to see you in New York!

Toby

[1] http://visit.un.org/content/security