On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:
>
>> tl;dr version: linking to wikidata is probably ok, including wikidata
>> could be a minefield.
>>

> I don't think anybody was actually suggesting to include bits and pieces
> of Wikidata into *the* OSM database. I think the idea is for third parties
> to use Wikidata as a complementary source to fill in the bits and pieces
> that are not in OSM (either by design or by incompleteness). Of course,
> those third parties are well advised of the legal minefield that you
> mention.

I suggested that.

I feel that for name translations *mirroring* wikidata *into* OSM has
compelling advantages.  It makes it easy for data consumers and
ties the data where it belongs.  It's pretty easy to mechanically
maintain.  Should spam data arrive via Wikidata/Wikpedia, it can leave via
the same mechanism.

If OSM is to be a language neutral dataset, no given language should be
special (beyond the keys and values which are English by convention, but
need not be shown to mappers or readers that way).  The legal minefield can
be resolved, especially with OSM and Wikmedia Foundation as organizations
with a very compatible mission.