Hi,

On 06.07.2015 00:29, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> I'm in touch with a person that added many buildings in Iceland as 3D
> models in Google Earth some years ago. You can find many of them there
> if you type in Kvosin into Google Earth - they look really good.

that would be a valuable contribution, so thank you for putting effort
into helping them.

Providing a possibility to upload freely-licensed 3D models for use with
OSM has long been a goal of various people in the 3D community. A 2014
"birds of a feather" meeting regarding this topic hasn't resulted in
anything tangible yet, unfortunately. I had also proposed the
development of such a platform as a Google Summer of Code project this
year, but that didn't work out.

As you said, OpenBuildingModels is theoretically a platform for models
like these. However, there has been very little activity since its
release a few years ago.

Recently, OSM Buildings has also started to use 3D models in their
visualizations.¹ I'm not sure if these models are freely available for
other OSM-based projects, though.

Nevertheless, we should try to find a quick solution here. If nothing
else works, I would at least advocate to publish the models under an
open license in some universal format like Collada somewhere, and to
start working on integrating these in our various applications. I would
be willing to offer some webspace for that, too.

Cheers,
Tobias

¹
http://blog.osmbuildings.org/2015/05/product-designer-rene-schulz-supporting.html