On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Minh Nguyen <m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>
wrote:

> Lester Caine <lester <at> lsces.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Just what is the convention in the US, Russia or China?
>
> Regarding the U.S., Paul and I describe the conventions here in detail:
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-August/073892.html
>
> But the short version is: real highway shields. Their absence is striking
> Americans, far more than the highway colors (which aren't as uniform in
> U.S.
> print cartography as they are in the U.K.). There are plenty of technical
> issues to work out, in any case:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/508

Yeah, this is jarring for most North American users, as Canadian, Mexican
and even some Japanese maps (probably more prevalent to English maps of
Japan, though) often use the style popular in the US, and I would hope that
rendering the refs off relations with shields should be considered
mandatory for the next update.