On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:

> Too bad for that guy that he didn't check OpenStreetMap first, because
> there was an abandoned railroad mapped in his back yard. Now that the
> trail has been built, he has a fence about 5' behind his house. I
> can't imagine he's happy now.

Wait, what?  I understand that OSM does incorporate *some* cadastre data,
such as is the case for situations where it makes more sense to map out a
landuse=* parcel and give it the appropriate name and access tags.
However, attempting to use OSM as a substitute for using the official
cadastre from the county clerk, land office or other regional equivalent
for landuse planning regarding legal encroachment would be woefully
ill-advised.  This is something you really want to hire a licensed surveyor
to stake out your legal property lines on and not just guess.  Or you're
likely to build a swimming pool in the middle of an abandoned railroad
that's being converted into a cycleway.