On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM, Stefano <saba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> just for reference in May I saw a discussion on okfn-labs on "opening up"
> w3w by doing an open location code system (different from the Google one).
> https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-labs/2015-May/001623.html
>
> See also https://github.com/pudo/open3words/issues/1

I hate to be the spoilsport here.  Given that latitude and longitude is
already a thing that exists, is verifiable, widely used, universal, and
potentially infinitely precise, yet granular to an entire degree of arc,
and coherent (it's generally possible to visibly estimate proximity between
two pairs of coordinates just by looking at them), it begs the question:
 How are these things extant?  o3w and w3w have zero buy-in, have no cogent
pattern, are subject to change without rhyme or reason, and don't scale.
It's like street addressing, but worse...