On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 09:37:42AM +0100, Simon Poole wrote:
> Sigh, this could easily be the silliest thread ever on talk.
>
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim#Parameters
>
> In general for POI search in an area I would suggest using
> OverPass/OverPass Turbo (note however that this has the same issue as a
> bounded Nominatim POI search in that it will only return POIs in the
> area specified, which is less useful than it sounds and not what the
> original poster was asking for).
>
> See
> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/14407/nominatim-radius-search
> for some more information and alternative ways of searching on the topic.

To clarify: we are not really talking about POI searches here.

If you type in 'Starbucks' in the search box, then you just get
objects named that way. No difference with searching for, say Berlin.

Now, if you type 'cafes' in the search box, then you are probably
looking for all amenity=cafe and that is a POI search. It's true
that this particular query doesn't work on osm.org. You have to
additionally specify a place, e.g. 'cafes in Poughkeepsie' actually
returns the one Starbucks in town.

Sarah