Christoph,

On 04/25/2016 06:46 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> You are not seriously suggesting that paying a proprietary data vendor
> for a likely restrictive license to use some imagery for mapping in OSM
> is in support of the idea of open data?

I, too, am wary of this initiative because of the underlying idea that
working without aerial imagery is a waste of time. IMHO the
non-availability of aerial imagery primarily means that there will be
less armchair mapping which I consider a good thing (but I know that my
position on that is a minority position among humanitarian mappers).

Having said that, paying for propietary imagery isn't without precedent
in OSM, see for example http://wiki.openstreetmap.org and
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WissensWert/40_-_Luftbilder_f%C3%BCr_OpenStreetMap

Bye
Frederik