I'm happy to announce that, after a rather long gestation period, the
Collective Database Guideline
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Community_Guidelines/Collective_Database_Guideline_Guideline
was approved by the board at its recent meeting.

I would particularly like to thank everybody that was involved in
drafting and revising the document and everybody that commented on the
text and raised questions. The initial impetus for the document goes
back to June 2010, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Open_Data_License/Metadata_Layers_-_Guideline&oldid=481590,
and a resolution of some of these questions was long overdue.

I hope this will go a long way to remove some insecurity with respect to
common use cases and will lay some bitter debates to rest.

Simon