On 30 December 2016 14:45:54 GMT+00:00, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org>
wrote:
>I had a related theory that's pretty much what Google was using Ingress
>for
>last year.  Lost to the ethers is where I theorized in a group hangout
>for
>the local Ingress community that the POIs entered as portal suggestions
>was
>feeding Google Maps, which hit me the same day or the next day.
>
>https://plus.google.com/+PaulJohnsonTulsa/posts/bFdG66yMZV5

It's pretty clear that Google used Ingress to improve its map. Crowdsourced POI
photos and a huge point cloud of pedestrian traffic. Even if that data was only
collected as a side-effect, they'd have been pretty dumb not to tap into it.
And that's actually one thing that kept me away from Ingress even though I
liked the concept.

I've been thinking about good game concept that is entertaining in its own
right and can be used directly/actively to improve the map. Something like Kort
but for non-mapers. Something *I'd want to play*, but which allowed me to
qa/improve osm during a game session. Probably have AR as the main/only play
mode, have plenty of osm tags effect the game mechanics, and let player upload
a note with photo if a real-world object doesn't yield the expected game
object.  It's not easy. Any takers ? :)
--
Vincent Dp