Hi,

Thanks to some further input (special thanks to Mikel!) and a boring
afternoon, that wiki page is now a bit more than an outline:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_for_Government

Robert,
Really interesting questions. I hope the page can grow to fit your needs.

My perspective is probably quite a bit different from yours, and still very
similar. Most of OSM interest in government, is where gov -does- have good
data, so there we face different problems. But when I think of the city
government in Belgium I work, we have e.g. ages old cycle path data. Don't
worry, we'll just start all over again and make a new data island. This
time for sure, we'll be able to keep it up to date.

So in a context where the government itself has no great data, development
work has a problem quite similar to mappers in developed countries.
How to build the tools that allow gov to have a feeling of control over
data quality?
Of course we should try and convince them this is a false question.
But failing that, I think it could work like this:

- do a one-off validation of OSM data (e.g. use the tasking manager to
check all the cycleways)
- export it to your own "authoritative database" and let it rest
- when you know reality change, update directly in OSM. Or don't, and
depend on the crowd.
- after some time has passed, make a new extract of the OSM data, and
compare old to new situation. This should be relatively easy to achieve, as
the data model would be identical. Highlight changes, and do a manual
review of special cases. If fixes necessary, do so in OSM. When ready, make
a new export.

The disadvantage is that as a government agency, you can only guarantee OSM
quality at the validation times. The advantage is that you always have an
"authentic truth" dataset at the ready, with a relatively low effort.

--
Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |