Thanks for bringing up the topic, Michael. The call for nominees has ended, and after that I have studied each one and filtered out duplicates, nominees that already have an award, that did not do anything in the past year or do not seem to do anything with OpenStreetMap. You can see reasons for nominees you submitted by logging in and clicking the first tab, "mine":

http://awards.osmz.ru/nominees/mine

In total 33 entries were hidden, including 9 entries for "SPIN Unit", which is both unknown in OSM community and has operated for at least three years. I removed myself either, very grateful to the one who nominated me :)

Today I have written to a lot of mailing lists and individuals asking them to grade the nominees. The principle is this:

* Core — OWG
* Innovations — EWG
* Writing — CWG
* Mapping — there are five nominees, so everyone passes
* Community — not sure right now, help welcome
* Latin America — SotM LatAm team and people Tyler and Miriam recommended
* Africa — SotM Africa team and people Tyler recommended
* Asia — SotM team, Kathmandu Living Labs and some other people recommended
* Ulf Möller Award — the Board

Of course, if anybody from the teams mentioned participates, then their teams would be removed from the list of nominees. For this reason I cannot ask, for example, the HOT to help me with the community award.

Committee members do not write me any reasons for their ranking. That would be too much in my opinion. I do not intend to share their lists, nor disclose their names: it would be more open, but at the same time would put some stress on them. You would have to believe me I watch for conflicts of interest and do not interfere in the process in any way.

On 17th of July (yes, we're running a few days late) I'll run the STV process on all lists I will have received, and that would give me five best nominees in each of the categories. And shortly after that the community voting will be open. This year you won't have to choose between equally great nominees: we'll use the Approval Voting method. It fares pretty well compared to other methods:

https://electology.org/approval-voting

Finally, if you know somebody who is (or if you are) qualified to choose nominees for the "Community" category and doesn't have any conflict of interest on that, please mail me.

Looking forward to the 19th of August,
Ilya