On Monday 24 July 2017, Gysler Castelino wrote:
> [...] Typically, Missing Maps
> (see e.g. http://tasks.hotosm.org/) often includes the instruction to
> map (1) buildings, and then (2) group buildings into residential
> areas. However, the 'residential area' definition is tricky, and
> volunteer mappers don't apply it consistently, plus it may cross your
> task boundary. So we'd like to find a way to consistently add
> 'residential area outlines' after the buildings have been added.

It should be clearly said that the reason for widespread incorrect use
of the landuse=residential tag in HOT project areas are the incorrect
instructions typically given in HOT tasks to mechanically cluster
buildings and draw abstract wrapper polygons around them independent of
both the primary purpose of the buildings and the actual use of the
land.

I am frequently amazed by the complete lack of distinct mentioning of
the need of verifiability for information entered into the OSM database
(both geometries and tags) in HOT instructions.  Mapping instructions
like in [1] to me seem just schocking - not only in light of the
projects in question but also because of what is presented there to OSM
newbies as good practice.

Fixing that is not a matter of technological measures and mapping tools,
it is a matter of developing and communicating a mapping culture based
on OSMs good practice [2].

[1]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1PR7xn9ooqguswP0PuzMPD_hYHiLsr3THbtlhVBXL-Lk/edit#slide=id.ge869b0762_2_195
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice