On Sunday 03 December 2017, Daniel Koc4� wrote:

> TL;DR summary: I think that for now we should render all the existing
> tags with osm-carto, but make some of them appear earlier to
> encourage smooth migration to a more precise scheme.

You are clearly out of line here - the suggestion that the standard
style might be entitled to steer the mappers to use a different tagging
because it is deemed more desirable by you is presumptuous and in clear
violation of the existing design principles of the style[1].  It is a
clear case of the tail wagging the dog.

If you want to render/not render certain tags for cartographic reasons
that is completely up to you.  If you want to point out that
documentation for certain tags is lacking that is most welcome.
Likewise if you want to create a proposal to deprecate certain tags and
replace them by others.  But creating little argument buildings
attempting to prove certain tags are bad and others are good for the
sole purpose of justifying rendering decisions that are based on
wishful thinking that the mappers will adjust to the desires and needs
of your style to make it work is not acceptable.  Don't do that.

As said before: *do not mix rendering and tagging discussions*.

[1]https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/