Hi Micah,

I think you came up with a good answer to your conundrum in an earlier post in this thread: Don't explain what an optimal changeset IS, explain what it is NOT:

Something like:

"It helps other contributors understand your edits if you group what you are doing in a local area into one changeset. For example, if you are creating the outlines of 20 buildings, group them into one changeset. On the other hand, if you are adding 3 POIs, (points of interest),  that are 1000 km apart in different countries, then it is more useful to put them into 3 changesets. Of course, if you are creating the outlines of 1,000 buildings in your town, you do not have to do them all at once!

If you worried about losing your data, our data editor software allows you to make incremental saves to the OSM server as you go along. iD does this automatically. Potlatch and JOSM have buttons that allow you to save partial work into a changeset and then keep adding to it until you are done."

[This could probably be improved for readability by non-native English speakers. And the editor text should be fact checked, I am a die-hard Potlatch user.]

Mike

(first post for a long, long time)