On Friday 29 June 2018, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> [...]
>
> So the ease of participating or customising has more or less already
> gone down the drain; what's still good about OSM Carto is that at
> least you can easily install it as-is on your own infrastructure (I
> regularly do that for business clients), but I fear it is only a
> matter of time until this aspect of usability, too, will be
> abandoned, and you will have to run massive pre-computation jobs in
> order to even get your map off the ground...

I think this is unlikely to happen.  Pre-computation is essential for
good quality maps at low to mid zoom levels but OSM-Carto was never
particularly predestined for a leadership role in this field.  In the
past year or so many decisions have been made that define a fairly
tight framework pointing away from using pre-computation.  It is
doubtful that even the move to water polygons for the coastlines, i.e.
a small change in the way pre-computation is employed, will happen
since there are design choices incompatible with this.

There are other open map design projects which are more open to
pre-computation techniques, in particular OpenTopoMap.

Regarding splitting OSM-Carto into two styles - i have my doubts about
this - both regarding if this makes sense and if it would work.  But i
think it would be very good to have this discussion on a more abstract
level, i.e. what kind of map style or styles should the OSMF render on
its infrastructure.  The OSMF should obviously not try to initiate or
manage map design projects themselves but existing or new independent
projects might be interested in what it takes to have a chance to be
supported by the OSMF in this form.  We have guidelines for layers on
osm.org hosted elsewhere:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers

but we don't have any sort of policy or guideline regarding what is
rendered on OSMF servers.  As long as OSM-Carto is set for this and
considered 'alternativlos' this is a non-issue but since it is clear
that this will not necessarily be the case in all eternity and the idea
is floated to maybe even render more than one style this becomes a
relevant question.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/