(Note:  since this is a tagging question this is in a way the wrong
group).

On Friday 31 August 2018, Tomasz Wc3b3jcik wrote:
> As we map different physical landcovers by eg. landuse=grass,
> landuse=forest, natural=sand, natural=water etc. There is
> theoretically no tag for urban areas covered by little stones like on
> this photo:
>
> ]...]

Urban area mapping in OSM is primarily functional - in case of your
example: If this is a walkable area (likely since it is easily
accessible and there are no signs forbidding it apparently) it would
probably be highway=pedestrian + surface=gravel/pebbles.

If it is not walkable it would be more like a japanese rock garden so
you could use leisure=garden + garden:style=rock_garden.

What you are suggesting here is essentially like the old mapping for the
renderer habit of tagging sand bunkers on golf courses natural=beach.
It would degrade the quality of the data of what is tagged
natural=shingle which fortunately at the moment is pretty good (since
it is a relatively young tag documented precisely from the beginning
and rendered in a way that supports correct use).  So no, i would be
strongly against extending natural=shingle to urban areas artificially
covered with loose stones based on a physical similarity.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/