On 10/7/2018 5:07 PM, john whelan wrote:
C# apparently is open source.  Visual Studio 2017 is a professional development environment.  Yes it is Windows and I recognise that many prefer one flavour of UNIX or another but I think it is time to think strategically and start work on a replacement for JOSM before we find we can no longer use it.  It can certainly create code which will run on UNIX systems.

I'm not saying C# is the only way to go.

There's a lot to like about a C# solution, but currently lacks a cross platform desktop graphics library. All the "Desktop pack" GUIs that Dotnet Core supports are Windows-only. I don't know if there is a good open-source cross platform desktop GUI for C# yet.

All that aside, my opinion is that it will be simpler to construct all the tools and functions to fill in where Oracle and other Javas may be dropping from newer versions.