In my mind I'd always thought about using OSM for urban planning to be
something for places with little money such as the third world but it
appears that in many places the economic boundaries of a city do not
coincide with the political boundaries and different levels of government
are involved in transport planning for example.

Locally in Ottawa we have two city councils, two provinces, federal
government and something called the NCC all involved in transportation
projects.

Rail lines and bus lines are justified by how many households are on the
line and how many businesses.

So how does this impact OpenStreetMap?

We are seeing a lot of buildings either being imported or mapped currently
across the world.  I'm not sure what the percentage of buildings and
building tags are but I suspect it is an increasing part of the database.

An apartment block has a lot of households so I can see an interest in
adding the number of apartments.

NGOs want to minimise the number of things such as clinics but at the same
time maximise the number of people who can access them.

Some groups are questioning city planners and using open source tools to
draw up alternative plans.  In Ottawa for example with at least six sources
of data it makes sense to use something like OSM to get everything in the
same format.

Commerical companies such as UrbanSim are using open data and use
OpenStreetMap in their presentations.  UrbanSim is a University spin off so
not quite a conventional commercial company and the same University does
provide a number of free open source programs to do planning on github.

Locally a mapper is interested in adding BIAs or Business Improvement Areas.

Land use by local city planners is divided into zones with local names such
as IP4 or TD3.

I'm not sure we should do anything at all but I think we should at least be
aware that OSM will start to see more urban planning related input and it
might be time to think about what the implications are.

Do we need some sort of standardised names in place of IP$ and BIA for
example?

Cheerio John