There must have happened something ugly at versions 99 and 106:
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/FYm

Thanks for that - yet again something useful in overpass-turbo ("make stat") that I had no idea existed.  Is there any documentation about it anywhere?  There is https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_QL#The_statement_make , but that doesn't have any useful information or give any examples.

Thank you for the feedback. The idea is laid out in
http://dev.overpass-api.de/blog/sliced_time_and_space.html
in particular
http://dev.overpass-api.de/blog/sliced_time_and_space.html#timeline
within
http://dev.overpass-api.de/blog/sliced_time_and_space.html#lrs

However, I accept that it is not so obvious how to combine the two. I'm sorry for all that have missed that. I have added an example on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Overpass_API_by_Example#Making_a_Table_of_Object_Versions

Best regards,

Roland