On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 09:03:45 -0800
stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2020, at 2:58 AM, Rory McCann <r...@technomancy.org> wrote:
> > On 07.02.20 20:12, stevea wrote:
> >> A well-known example is (national, other) boundaries, which
> >> frequently do not exist "on the ground,"
> > National borders don't exist on the ground? huh? Have you ever
> > actually _crossed_ an international border? I assure you they exist
> > on the ground. From large infrastructure, to changes in the paint
> > colour on roads, one can nearly always *see* where a border is.
>
> I didn't say "always" (I said "frequently," though I was being
> parochial / local to me).  Between USA and Canada, for thousands (and
> thousands) of kilometers, the national border is entirely invisible.
> True, in places, it exists in an observable way (some stone markers,
> border crossings with paint-on-asphalt, even a fence or wall here or
> there), but I'd even say "mostly," the USA-Canada national border
> simply "isn't there:"  nothing on-the-ground, that is.

Have you actually been to the US-Canada border?  For thousands and
thousands of kilometers, it's really obvious:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/US-Canada_border_at_Crawford_State_Park_20130629.jpg

Even when it's not as obvious as in that photo, there are still
frequent boundary cairns.  And yes, they're mapped in OSM:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1997617997

--
Mark