On Feb 11  18 h 49 min 26 s UTC−5, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:

>  ??? just do not create unreasonably large multipolygons (or split existing,
> possibly undo import if it makes area uneditable and do it right).
Your answer seems to be that it is possible to map appropriately with the
current rules. Or maybe not, but anyway, let simply ignore these areas, not
find appropriate solution to add these areas  to OSM. For north of Canada
alone, the superficy is closed to the size of Europe.

Your answer about polygons is simply a spin rethoric form (une pirouette) to
ignore the problem. Should we rename this project OpenEurope ?
Pierre

    Le mardi 11 février 2020 18 h 49 min 26 s UTC−5, Mateusz Konieczny via talk
<talk@openstreetmap.org> a écrit :

Feb 12, 2020, 00:07 by talk@openstreetmap.org:

Feb 11, 15:59, stevea wrote :

> Rather than get snarled in counter-examples, let's discuss how OTG isn't and
> can't be strictly
> followed in many cases.  It IS followed in the majority of cases, but in
> those corner cases where
> it isn't, because it can't be ("nothing" is OTG), must be realistically
> addressed, likely in our wiki
> where we state the "rule" today, though going forward much better state a
> "guideline".  I think
> we can get there, but it remains under discussion / construction.

I agree with this and I adds some other aspects to take into account below. The
areas not yet mapped in OSM have characteristics quite different than the
industrialiased regions / countries. And we cannot realistically count on
mappers to walk or cycle through huge isolated areas. We cannot expect people
that figth to survive, that have no good internet connexion to map intensively
there neighboorhood. And more then mappers, we need to think where we need to
revise OSM.

Note that it is not violating OTG. OTG is not "everything must be mapped on
survey", it means
that direct survey (what is actually existing) overrides official data,
opinions and desires.

If we could keep the wood landcover outside of OSM, it would greatly simplify
mapping of such areas and dramatically reduce the Mulipolygons problems where
huge multipolygons are created with inner for lakes and all the problems
related to this.