On 17.04.20 15:33, Mario Frasca wrote:
> On 17/04/2020 04:20, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> What about removing [the trailing "contributors" from the ©
>> attribution], so that the required credit becomes "© OpenStreetMap"
>> (it could also be © OpenStreetMapFoundation, but maybe "©
>> OpenStreetMap" would be sufficient, given that OpenStreetMap is a
>> brand owned by the OpenStreetMapFoundation)?
>
> I find the explanatory text in parentheses confusing.

Agreed, the text in parentheses is problematic. From a moral
perspective, explicitly crediting the foundation would very much feel
like an unjust appropriation of the mappers' work, regardless of the
legal technicality that the OSMF is publishing the database.

> I'm fine with associating OSM with its contributors, so if you say that
> "© OpenStreetMap" is the same as "© OpenStreetMap contributors", I'm fine.

+1. To me, the foundation is not OpenStreetMap. It's an entity that
exists to *support* OpenStreetMap. (It's good that the OSMF makes this
mental distinction visible by using separate domain, osmfoundation.org.)
When I think of OpenStreetMap, I think of the many people who help build
our map, not a formal incorporated entity. I hope that other mappers
also see themselves as part of OpenStreetMap. So as I said before, I
like the core of the suggestion – but it could have been presented
better by leaving the foundation bit out of it.