On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 11:11, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, and by the time they get to us they are usually "rabbits of
> negative euphoria"* because of the less than stellar support experience
> they've had at AllTrails.
>
> Looking at e.g.
> https://www.alltrails.com/explore/list/yorkshire-wolds-way?b_tl_lat=54.06089919948305&b_tl_lng=-0.7765960693359375&b_br_lat=53.9918264806059&b_br_lng=-0.6293106079101562
> I'm not surprised - to my eyes that really is a crime against cartography.
> Zoom in, and you'll see that that useful-looking north-south path just
> southeast of Thixendale is actually marked "(PRIVATE)", but at any scale
> you might want to plan a route on it isn't.
>
> The explanation we have to give every time goes something along the lines
> of:
>
>    - No, we're not Alltrails support, and can't directly affect the way
>    that their map represents things.
>    - Yes, it's perfectly normal for the OpenStreetMap database to include
>    ways along which there is limited access (such as only the householder, or
>    perhaps other people in an emergency).
>    - Individual maps can choose what data to show and what not, and if a
>    map does a poor job of it that's really not an OpenStreetMap problem.
>    - While we'd love you to update OpenStreetMap yourself** (since you
>    know your local area better than we do) we're more than happy to try and
>    fix the OSM data if it's wrong - but we can't guarantee when (or even if)
>    any particular OSM-based map will show the changes.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy (from the Data Working Group)
>
> * not a happy bunny
>
> ** I'd also, if it seems that it might help, try and introduce them to the
> local OSM community.

With my DWG hat on, my view is the data working group should be for
resolving conflicts and helping deal with harmful edits or people acting in
bad faith, not as a "the map is wrong please fix it for me" service. If
there is something wrong on the map, generally people should be first
directed to edit in OSM or if they are not comfortable by adding a note,
not asking DWG to get involved in mapping.

AllTrails support team are directing people who are reporting issues with
OSM data to DWG directly, but instead I'd prefer they direct people to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide or some other
landing page for prospective mappers.