Thank you for the process.

Cheerio John

James wrote on 2020-12-21 19:15:
wget https://josm.openstreetmap.de/josm-latest.jar

java -jar josm-latest.jar

in a terminal

On Mon., Dec. 21, 2020, 7:13 p.m. John Whelan, <jwhelan0...@gmail.com <mailto:jwhelan0...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I don't know enough about the pi to know where to copy it to.
    Getting the latest .jar isn't a problem.

    Thanks John

    James wrote on 2020-12-21 19:11:
    https://josm.openstreetmap.de/josm-latest.jar

    java -jar josm-latest.jar

    On Mon., Dec. 21, 2020, 7:10 p.m. John Whelan,
    <jwhelan0...@gmail.com <mailto:jwhelan0...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        It seems to load from "sudo apt-get install josm" but it is
        version 14760. thank you Martin Bone you tube. I'm not too
        sure where to download the new .jar file to get it to a more
        recent version. So technically it will work. The big question
        then becomes is it useful? Low power but needs a screen. Can
        we leverage it in anyway? I'm thinking if it gets into
        schools it might be useful but if it needs a more powerful
        machine than the school might purchase can we nudge up the
        specs in someway? I know you can use a smartphone but JOSM is
        a bit more powerful and you can grab a bit of osm compress it
        then load it up on the pi. Not real time but in areas where
        there is little activity a 3 or 4 day old file might well be
        good enough. I'm thinking Africa here. Solar panel into a
        powerbank, run the pi from a powerbank. On a slightly larger
        scale solar panel into an instant pot with battery, gives you
        enough power to run a pi as well. Instant pots have been run
        from solar with battery, the 3 quart pot requires a lower
        power level. Can someone come up with a mixture that would
        work? Thanks Cheerio John