This is okay. You still have the access to the reality to check if the edit
matches the reality.

The core reason why companies can't share the imagery is that satellite
imagery providers often put a seat license on the imagery, with "publicly
available" costing ten times as much as "this specific person will extract
the features" (they can't sell it anymore after that, and other times'
images in the area too). The best you can ask for is the scene number and
provider name to buy the same image yourself, and there's also no
requirement to know it.

(If an organization has an image and does have the license to share it and
open it up, get it uploaded on OpenAerialMap if not maintaining your own
imagery collection).