I, too, have gravitated toward music with lyrics over the years.  My interest
with lyrics started with the movie Tango by Carlos Sauros, specifically the
scene of two singers performing Flores de alma at a dance rehearsal.  I just
really enjoyed the romantic quality the pair brought to the piece, which
brought it to life.  Before that I really didn't like music with lyrics at all
(though I was listening to crap at the time, too).  D'Agostino/Vargas has also
become a favorite for the soulfulness of Vargas.  Lately, I've been enjoying
the lightness of singers Dante and Martel of de Angelis' orchestra.

Part of the appeal of music with lyrics, I think, is its simpler musical
structure (chorus & verse) rather than the ABC structure of instrumentals.  The
verse portion tends to ground the music and makes it more predictable, more
obvious of where the music is heading.

Someone recently asked me to play more music that was "lyrical" at the
milongas.  Funny thing was that he mentioned my playing too many vocalists for
his tastes.  He's from another country, so I'm thinking it's a language thing.
And that he really isn't that musically aware.

It would be nice if there were more tango music videos out there, instead of
mainly tango dance videos.  The tango singers I've seen tend to perform to
music not played at milongas.

Trini de Pittsburgh