I just happen to have gotten an email today about a book by Gustavo Benzecry
Sabá on tango dance terms (prefaces by Juan Carlos Copes and Gavito).  Here's a
page from the book with the al reves position.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/9872448183/ref=dp_otherviews_2?ie=UTF8&m=AT7YZ41RJQT5G&s=books&img=2

As Brick pointed out, it's not new.  What may be new is the extent of it being
used in the upcoming performance.  By specifying a performance with "Tango Al
Reves" rather than just a tango performance, the dancers are recognizing that
this is a particular style they are doing.  I'd rather they do that than call
an entire performance in al reves just a regular tango performance.

Trini de Pittsburgh