Hello Mark,

I believe that IS possible. You can change from POP3 to any of the
advanced protocols. It's apparently not possible to "downgrade" though (I
guess because advanced structures are created in the account for those
protocols and removing them isn't possible without loss of data created
in the meantime...?).

For me at least, for all POP3 accounts, I can go to
Account/Properties/Transport, then in the second block ("Receiving
messages") on the right there is a "Change protocol" button. It doesn't
appear for IMAP accounts for the reason stated above.
The texts may be different for you, I am not looking at an English TheBat!
but a Czech one so I am just guessing the English labels.

--
Cheers,
  Viktor