On Friday, June 24, 2005, at 09:16 AM, Alto Speckhardt
wrote:

> Copying the cache files from my home machine onto the laptop via
> "Windows Offline Folder". This is usually done by WLAN and thus not
> very fast, therefore I have considerable interest in keeping the
> files as small as possible.

Interesting what you do there. Isn't the laptop connectable to the
Internet? Why don't you connect to the server and do the
synchronisation?

I'm wondering if the cache files have the appropriate names. You're
doing something there that's pretty unusual for any IMAP user. The
essence of IMAP is not having to do what you're doing. You can have
the same thing happening on multiple machines without having to copy
from one to the other.

Anyway, you can enjoy yourself with it.

> You're obviously right, because that's exactly what happens. But to my
> understanding it shouldn't: Why can my commands (deleteDeleted,
> deleteDuplicates, compress) not be executed on the cache while
> disconnected and be queued for execution on the server as soon as the
> machine is re-connected?

I was hoping I could assist, but I see that I'm not.

> Can I "DeleteDeleted" somewhere else than in "Maintenance"?

Deleting deleted is the same as compressing/expunging.

> I'm using v3.02 (productive), where the bug about the non-closing CC
> doesn't take place. The CC closes, and the log-line (status line of
> TheBat main window) states something like "IMAP connection finished".

That's a pretty early version there. TB!'s IMAP has undergone a lot of
changes since. I actually am using it now, when I just didn't use it
then.

> I'm accustomed to "polling" since I started FidoNet. POP3 worked in
> this mode as well, and I see no benefit from another mode. I do not
> like to rely on an open connection, I want to have needed data locally
> and just sync it on demand. I only use IMAP instead of POP3 because I
> can have seperate folders there.

IMO, you shouldn't be using IMAP. IMAP is about relying on an open
connection. The disconnect mode should be for exceptional
circumstances and not a routine. Routine disconnect operations are
best dealt with using POP3.

--
-= Allie M.=-
Using TB! v3.5.30