Hello,

I have initiated the query of the TBOOT extpol option's  usefulness which Pawel
have broadcasted (thank you, Pawel and everybody who replied) and have received
few questions below.

> "No objections, but we would be interested in understanding the root
> rationale for the change."<
> "Why would you not just switch the default and leave the Agility as an
> option?" <
> "I'm also interested in the rationale. The change of default I can
> understand. I think that most people using tboot use the "extpol" option. I
> don't understand completely removing agility as an option." <

Let me answer these questions and provide background of the query.

ACM extend policy control was introduced many years ago during architectural
adoption of TPM 2.0 family. It is traced back to Q2 of 2015.

At that time there were no TPM samples, no clear understanding of TPM algorithm
agility use cases, no fully supported cryptography in our code bases, nor
potential consequences of PCR bank capping due to insufficient internal crypto
support.

In the presence of such uncertainty, introduction of such policy settings
seemed to be prudent - allow Users get what they prefer as measurements
regardless of TPM abilities at the expense of performance or get faster service
at the expense of loosing of some of the PCR banks which might get capped.

Lots of things changed for the past 6 years.
- we have come up with converged BtG and TXT technologies and our Startup and
SINIT ACMs share lots of code, crypto included.
- we have full embedded crypto code supporting all hashing and signature
algorithms we need.
Situation when with Max Perf policy setting we might need to get PCR bank
capped due to lack of internal support is unlikely.
- Max Agility setting is unacceptable for Startup ACM and is deprecated in it.
This is due to strong boot performance requirements.
- SINIT execution time with Max Agility setting is essentially longer, but we
have not received any such complaints or acceleration requests.
This bears the innuendo that this setting is not used in practice.
- Internally support of this policy engenders essential complexity, including
set of supported TPM2 commands, way how we maintain event log, execution flow
differences etc.
This is burden which I would like to drop if possible, harmonize support
between two ACMs, remove potentially unneeded externally visible knob, solidify
ACM core.

With all of the above reasoning I was not going to change the default setting.
I understand that it is awkward to leave default == 1 which means Max Perf but
changing it to 0 is onerous.
(This default BTW expresses our vision 6 years ago that Max Agility is
preferred selection ! Real life performance demands have changed it.)
This is very inertial legacy as it is OS visible change and not only for Tboot
but also for a Windows world and multiple other products.

What I intend to do is simply formally defeature this policy setting and remain
default to be == 1, which appears to be current practice.
Most likely internally in SINIT I will simply ignore this setting and will not
generate an error if it is all of a sudden set == 0. I do not want to multiply
security unrelated error situations.
Internally SINIT will invariantly use Max Perf regardless of this setting. As
soon as there are no PCR bank capping this will not produce visible difference.
In extreme case when capping occurs and is undesirable it will always be
possible to enable missing crypto algorithm in SINIT code. All of them are
build controlled.

Thank you,

-ae

I sent out a message through the TBOOT mailing list as you asked. There's some
questions that came up in response to the announcement.

Greg W. Wettstein g...@wind.enjellic.com<mailto:g...@wind.enjellic.com>

Travis Gilbert travis.gilb...@dell.com<mailto:travis.gilb...@dell.com>
> "Why would you not just switch the default and leave the Agility as an
> option?"
> "I'm also interested in the rationale. The change of default I can
> understand. I think that most people using tboot use the "extpol" option. I
> don't understand completely removing agility as an option."

Could I ask you to respond to these questions? Best if you could send an e-mail
with the answers straight to the mailing list
tboot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:tboot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> and
I'll get it through there.

Thanks,
--Paweł