Monday, November 22, 1999

Hello Ali,

Monday, Monday, November 22, 1999, you wrote:

Ali>    tracer wrote:

Ali> <snip>
>> Anyway, I find you set filters with special options and then go and
>> clean them up in the menu.
>> I always determine the order of filters myself so anything like this
>> should be at the far end of your filters to avoid hitting innocent
>> bystanders...

Ali> Speaking of order, this may very well have to do with why his filter
Ali> isn't working. Messages from this particular individual are probably
Ali> being filtered by another filter higher up in the filters list. If the
Ali> delete filter goes after this, it will not work.

Ali> So, if I wish to delete messages for someone on this list, the filter
Ali> that I create has to be listed before the filter for TBUDL mail for it
Ali> to work.

I thought he said it stayed in the inbox so it doesnt get hit by any
filter and as said sofar the most common problem I had on filters not
working was due to name in 2 pieces. So if I would filter on Ali Martin
it wouldnt work but your email would(g).

Now it may be caused by me not understanding how to filter but since I
can make it work by restricting it, its survivable...
Anyway, sorry to say, I donot like throwing mail away to the rubbish
bin before I have all the known good stuff out of my inbox...

Admittedly some things go the wrong box but thats easy to fix.
But in my opinion dumping data before moving the known amount of
good data to a safe places is ,...well you know what would follow...
Its more tricky and has more risk.

Its the same logic I use with incoming spam, I dump them manually in a
spam bin till I can see what the best way is to clean up, and then
experiment on the bin as it cannot do any damage. Then add the filter
to move it to the spam box automatic and if I see nothing else gets hit, I
change it to being zapped automatic.
AFTER all my filters on people getting moved to their approriate boxes
leaving me with stuf i donot often get  or odball newsletters in my
inbox. I may have 200 emails per day or more but inbox maybe has 5-6.
Best regards,

tracer

Using theBAT 1.38 Beta/2

mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]