Hallo Dierk,

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:42:20 +0200 GMT (23/09/2000, 03:42 +0800 GMT),
Dierk Haasis wrote:

DH> BTW, you know that socio-linguistically speaking your "except maybe
DH> ..." is also a slight misnomer?

I know. ;-)

DH> Especially english is as a second language very successful.

That's true, and we are going into history and why this is so, right?

DH> And it is a universally accepted "standard" even used by many
DH> Asians.

This is only half true. Chinese (Mandarin) is as important over here
as English is in Europe. English *is* used extensively too, though.

DH> There is at least one good reason for this which I won't explain
DH> in detail since everybody can look it up in a textbook of
DH> linguistics (search for books by David Crystal):

I will look that up. Speaking a number of languages, linguistics is a
hobby of mine. Whenever I kind find the time again.

DH> It is much more versatile with much less symbols than for instance
DH> Chinese.

Yes and no. The European  (Latin) lettering system is fine for
European lagnauges. There is a good reason that many Asian langauges
don't use it.

DH> So now, it would be good if *all* programmes supported all characters
DH> of the world - just think of UNICODE.

I second that. We'll get there eventually, I'm sure. :-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.46d
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM