Hi John,

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:12:41 +0100GMT (07/10/2000, 04:12 +0800GMT),
John Sullivan wrote:

JS> I'll also point out that the above generalisation does not always
JS> hold. "Resource" is a very wide term with multiple
JS> interpretations.

Not according to what I was taught.

JS> As is "operating system".

Again I was taught something different.

JS> If the resource in question was your bank balance for example, you
JS> wouldn't expect the bank's computers to apply interest/enter
JS> transactions directly in the OS kernel. (At least I hope not!)
JS> That's in no way an analogy, it's a real example.

The resource is the bank account (not the bank balance), and this is a
database, i.e. a file on disk. I wouldn't want anything *but* the OS's
I/O subsystem to touch it. The OS (and thus, in this case, it's I/O
subsystem) provides services to applications. No application is
allowed to do that by itself. Resource sharing is not an easy task
which involves scheduling, semaphores, signalling and all kinds of
things I will have to re-read this weekend for the exam next week.
:-(

JS> I've not yet run it in a low-disk situation. I *hope* it would be
JS> intelligent enough not to download and delete all my mail off the
JS> server, then drop it into a black hole because there was no space left
JS> locally.

Agree. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.46d
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.