Sunday, June 6, 2004, Thomas Fernandez wrote:

> Correct, as the smiley-function in TB  has nothing to do with the
> author. It is only and exclusively up to the recipient to decide
> whether he wants Ascii-smileys replaced by icon-smileys.

Even a silly sentence as "The dog says grr and the cat meows" shouldn't
be interpreted as "The dog says angry and the cat meows" unless _I_ (the
sender) mean it to be so. I shouldn't have to think twice when writing
it, and the recipient shouldn't have to think twice when reading it
either.

> The smileys have nothing to do with the sender of an email, this is
> not HTML! You send the email as usual. The receipient, if he uses the
> RTV in TB, can choose to have the emoticons replace by smileys. It is
> his choice, and only his. Again: This has *nothing* to do with the
> sender.

This has /everything/ to do with the sender. It his, and only his,
responsibility to make sure that the message sent isn't ambiguous.
I've shown one way to make it so, another (and IMO a much better
approach) would be if there was a standardised header
X-Always-Show-Smileys-As-ASCII.

You asked me to stop this thread, well I tried to CC to TBOT, but I am
not subscribed there under this address. So I'll just hope that anybody
that does respond make a CC there. Fair enough?

--
Urban

Queen Elizabeth was the "Virgin Queen." As a queen she was a success.
When she exposed herself before her troops they all shouted "hurrah."