Hello Roelof,

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:19:22 +0200 GMT (26/10/2004, 23:19 +0700 GMT),
Roelof Otten wrote:

MM>> Netscape Messenger is an example having such feature, and it is quite
MM>> simple, normal, and standard one.

RO> Actually, telling me that some other client has the same feature won't
RO> mean that it is something TB should do too. TB doesn't rewrap a
RO> message before sending either even though there some clients that do
RO> so.

This might be referring to the term "Best Practice" in management
terms. You look around in the industry and when you see something that
the competitor does better than you, you try to live up. If you
something that the competitor does not as good as you do, you just
smile. It doesn't mean you have to copy everything from the
competitor, that would be detrimental to be becoming the best.

MM>> It is a moment when your message lives your computer/MUA.

RO> Let's use the moment the message leaves the mua (with all those
RO> proxies scanning for viruses and I don't what else it's rather hard to
RO> say when it leaves your computer). And leaving should be defined as
RO> the time that the smtp server has acknowledged receipt, not the
RO> beginning of the transfer.

My choice would  be the time the message is moved from the Outbox to
the Sent folder.

RO> When you want a date stamp on the envelope, ask for an additional
RO> column, that would be saved in the .tbi file. I can imagine that I'd
RO> support such a wish.

I think that would do the trick. I'm thinking of the same way TB
emembers when *it* received messages, regardless of the time stamp in
the Received headers.

RO> The way of thought behind TB is that a received or sent message should
RO> not be altered without altering the message-id. You don't have to
RO> agree with that, but that's the way TB is written and it is in full
RO> accordance with the relevant RFC's that say that no two different messages
RO> should carry the same message-id.

I don't think this is related, see above.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Die Pille fuer den Mann wurde bei 2 000 Maennern getestet. Und
tatsaechlich - keiner von ihnen bekam ein Kind!

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.1.33
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A