Hello Roelof,

RO> Hallo Jack,

RO> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:12:06 -0500GMT (2-6-2008, 14:12 +0200, where I
RO> live), you wrote:

JSL>> I'd like to experiment with this file naming protocol and find out
JSL>> where the last backup went. Is there a way to manually start TB!'s
JSL>> backup at will?

RO> How big was your last saved backup and much free space have you got on
RO> the drive where you store your backups? And much free space have got
RO> left on the drive where your temp directory is stored?

No problem with file size or available disk space. I did a search and
found the file "autobackup.tbk" in the C:\Program Files\The Bat!\MAIL
folder with an OS timestamp of 5/31 @ 08:11 which is about
the time/date I remember the last autobackup occurring. Why it landed
in that location is a mystery.

RO> In the past it wasn't possible to use macros in the name of the
RO> autobackup, has that been changed? That was the reason that I didn't
RO> use the autobackup feature but still used my own scheduled backup
RO> that allowed for macros in the name.

As you can see in a previous paragraph the filename created by TB! is
simply autobackup.tbk without any embedded date/time in the filename
as it appears in OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>SYSTEM>AUTOBACKUP>ADVANCED.

RO> BTW2 No, it isn't possible to start TB's autobackup manually, though
RO> it appears to be possible to change the time it starts to something
RO> sooner.

I tried this by setting the days counter to the minimum (1 day) and
setting the time to now+2 minutes. Sure enough, the autobackup started
in a couple of minutes, ran to completion and stored the
autobackup.tbk file on the F: drive as specified in the default
 filename OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>SYSTEM>AUTOBACKUP>ADVANCED but again,
 without the date/time embedded in the filename.

 I next tried a *manual* backup as suggested by Paul in a previous reply
 using as a filename the one displayed in
  OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>SYSTEM>AUTOBACKUP>ADVANCED which is
  F:\autobackup-%DATE(yyyy-mm-dd)-%TIME(hh-mm-ss).tbk. That produced a
  .tbk file on the F: drive called exactly
  "F:\autobackup-%DATE(yyyy-mm-dd)-%TIME(hh-mm-ss).tbk".  My head is
  starting to hurt.

 I think in light of all that I have learned from this thread I'll
 just cancel the scheduled backup and start it manually from the TOOLS
 menu as Paul suggested.

--
My sincere thanks to all those that have tried to educate me in the
mysteries of TB!.

Best regards,
 Jack                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Now running TB! v3.99.3 from
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 - Service Pack 3