> A few thoughts:-

> Is "y" an email address or a name? If a name, is it stated slightly
> differently in the email sent to y, z, a, b and c that does not end up
> in the folder you want?

> Assuming y is your address, are any of z, a, b or c yours as well?

> Is it a common filter or a filter on one account?

> Are the messages addressed to y, z, a, b and c coming in through an
> account the filter is active on?

> Does the filter have "continue processing with other filters"
> selected, and if so could a filter further down the list be moving the
> message addressed to y, z, a, b and c back out of the folder your
> filter described above has moved it to?

> Does it make any difference if you change the order of the filter
> conditions? ("recipient contains y and sender contains xx" instead of
> "sender contains xx and recipient contains y")

thanks everyone for their responses.
Ok, here are some additional details:

the exact filter is:
recipient contains j....@company.com
and sender contains sharyn
move to folder ABC

however the sender's email address is sharyn...@isp.com

so I suppose it should make no difference with respect to your first
question.

As mentioned it works fine for a single recipient but nothing happens
when the incoming email is as follows:

from Header:

from: sharyn...@isp.com
to: sharyn...@isp.com, j...@company.com, sa...@company.com
cc: j....@company.com, some...@someothercompany.com

Question: is cc not considered to be a recipient? What would be the
filter rule in that case?

The filter is active and any previous filter is set to continue
processing.
Haven't tried the last suggestion yet.

I have however tried some "radical" changes and even for these some
messages do not move:

if header contains j....@company.com
and sender match sharyn...@isp.com
move to folder ABC