On Mon, 29 May 2000, W. John Guineau wrote:

> Mo,
>
> Since it's in my best interest, I can probably help with:
>
> 4. Merge the rest of Mr. Wu's patches for Tcl Blend.
>
> Is there a simple way for me to access the online CVS repository from
> Windows? I do have a dual-boot system with Linux (RedHat 6.2) but my impetus
> is for work, which has a Windows platform requirement.
>
> I could also do a sanity check on the JAVA_LOCK stuff as I've done a
> considerable amount of multi-threaded work and may have some insights (as an
> outsider) into the issues with Tcl Blend.
>
> john

That would be great. I think both Jiang, Scott, and I
are in agreement that the JAVA_LOCK stuff in the JNI
methods do not do anything useful. I think they were
originally added before the Notifier class was part
of Jacl and Tcl Blend. The Notifier class should
be the sole synchronization point for adding an
event to the Tcl event queue. The event is then
pulled off the queue by the dedicated "event thread"
and all command invocations after that are
unsynchronized. This is a good thing because you
end up with really low synchronization overhead.

Currently, both the Tcl Blend and Jacl versions
of the notifier seem to be thread safe, so it
looks like you can just strip out all of the code
that has anything to do with JAVA_LOCK. This
JAVA_LOCK thingy is a big global lock that seemed
to be needed in the old days of Tcl 8.0, but the
1.3 version of Tcl Blend only supports Tcl 8.3
and Tcl 8.4 so that is no longer a concern. There
is also global lock inside unix/unixNotifier.c
and win/winNotifier.c that should only be used
when Tcl is compiled without thread support.
More detailed discussion of these issues
can be found in the mailing list archive.

The best way to get CVS access on a windows
machine is to install Cygwin. You are going
to need cygwin to build Tcl Blend on windows
anyway, so you should just grab it now.
Your best bet is to just get it from a mirror.

Download the installer.

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe

Run it and then point it at a mirror like

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest
ftp://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/pub/cygwin/latest/

Then grab the soure for CVS and run ./configure. It should
just configure and compile out of the box.

Of course, it might be easier to just use a regular
Unix box running samba and just mount that over
the network on windows. That is what we do at work.
Actually trying to use windows to do any sort of
development work is much harder than developing
software to run on windows.

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.