> > I was thinking about adding a `next' member to CObject, to build a
> > singly-linked list of finalized objects without allocating memory.
> > Unfortunately it would still probably require synchronization.
>
> With careful programming, synchronization should not be a problem.  Though I
> don't like the sound of delaying the finalization of the object.  That may
> just be as bad as allocating new objects during finalization.

I think the point was to finalize the Java object and just mark the C
object a "ready to be finalized" (mark could mean put it in a queue).
That way the Tcl side can come along later a notice (in the Tcl interp
thread) that there is a list of Tcl C objects that need to be freed up.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc