On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Christian Krone wrote:

> In the same location there is also another patch, which makes the
> Jacl test target using the tcltest package of Tcl8.4.
> It can be found here:
>   http://ME.IN-Berlin.de/~v12/krischan/String/tcltest.patch
>   http://ME.IN-Berlin.de/~v12/krischan/String/all.tcl
> This needs some more work:
>   = there are currently only 14 test with the "package require tcltest"
>     call instead of the old "source def".
>   = TclBlend's test suite should use all.tcl, too.
>   = it would be really cool to be able to do just a jaclsh xxx.test;
>     currently the auto_path is not correct for such a usage.
> But it is a start.

The other major problem with using a "package require tcltest"
is that we current have no way of using a package inside a
.jar file. This is something I thought about before. What
we really need to do is get a list of the pkgIndex.tcl files
that live in a .jar file so that they can be sourced to
provide the "package ifneeded" statements. Currently, we
have no way to look for these pkgIndex.tcl file in the
same way that it does on disk because we can not glob
for file names out of a .jar file.

Does anyone feel up to hacking on this problem? It
would not be very hard to implement and it would
be really useful because folks could put their own
packages into .jar files. Oh, by the way in case
you are wondering how a "package require java"
works, it is faked because of this exact problem.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc