speaking of lengths...

on Linux when TSO (large send) is enabled, certain header fields are left as zero. last i looked (I think my post on the topic went to the bitbucket) this gave stuff like tcpdump fits. At present, I'm not quite sure what to suggest as a fix - I fear it may involve both tcpdump _and_ the semantics of promiscuous mode on platforms.

based on what I think I know about large send support on at least one NIC, this may also happen on other OSes.

rick jones
Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.