I am preparing the tcpdump 4.6.0 release.
There are a bunch of test cases that fail on my desktop.  Travis shows no
failures, and I'm investigating.

There has been discussion at the IETF about standardizing PCAPNG,
and I was just wondering where we were in actually using it ourselves!
It's better than I had feared, but worse than I'd hoped.

As far as I can tell, we have support in libpcap for reading from pcapng
save files, but we do not have in libpcap support for writing in that
format, nor do we have a way to tell tcpdump to output to a specific
kind of savefile. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

PCAPNG is magic 0x1A2BC3D4.
PCAP is magic   0xa1b23c4d.
I would have liked if PCAPNG had used the same magic, and actually just
bumped the PCAP_VERSION_MAJOR...  Did anyone tell the /bin/file people
about the PCAPNG magic number?

Anyway, I'm thinking that there should be another tcpdump 4.x release
that writes to pcap format by default, but has an option to force output
format to pcapng, and then a 5.x release that defaults to writing pcapng.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [