Guy Harris wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:42:50PM +0200, Andrea Montefusco wrote:
> > Is it possible, with the current pcap API, to block
> > filtered packets ?
>
> What do you mean by "block"?

Ehm, sorry for my english: I mean "not forward" (to upper IP stack).

> However, if you mean "is there a way for libpcap-based application to
> see those UDP packets *AND* to use libpcap to prevent the IP stack from
> generating the ICMP Port Unreachable for them", the answer is "no" - the
> fact that those packets are passed on to the OS packet capture mechanism
> used by libpcap does *NOT* mean that the packets won't also be passed on
> to the IP stack.

I need for a "dont forward" flag (may be in pcap_setfilter):
all packets that do match with the filter are discarded.

Anyway may be that right way to do that is use IP stack
firewall like iptables.

Thanks for your collaboration

  *am*

Andrea Montefusco                         Network Manager
Kyneste S.p.A.  Roma Via Mario Bianchini, 68
                Milano Via della Posta, 3
tel: +3906874021 mob: +393356992791 fax: +390687402300