Hi,

My name is Chema González and I'm working on pcapd,
a libpcap multiplexer daemon.

I'm a little puzzled by the fact that the
implementation of libpcap over BPF hardcodes 32KB
kernel buffers. pcap_open_live() currently sets
the kernel (and user-level) buffers to 32KB (or
16KB, 8KB, 4KB, until something works), and just
immediately avoids the user modifying it by
BIOCSETIF'ing.

So my question is whether there is any reason for
not exporting the kernel buffer size to the libpcap
user (apart from the fact that this may be a feature
unsupported by other packet filters), or to not
permitting him setting its own.

As an potential solution, libpcap could read the
default kernel BPF buffer size from the kernel
state, and start setting the buffer size to that
number instead of 32KB.

In any case, is there any reason for 32KB? Seems
kinda small to me. (While it's true that they still
go with default 4KB buffers, modern FreeBSD OSs come
with a maximum of 512KB.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Chema
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?body=unsubscribe