On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, unix_fan wrote:

> Our Winders boxen use PGP Whole Disk encryption so we'd like to use
> it for Linux laptops as well. Turns out the PGP implementation is
> .... suboptimal.
>
> Our main requirement is that Whole Disk Encryption be implemented in
> a manner which allows for an Alternate Decryption Key (ADK), so that
> the device content is available in case the primary laptop user gets
> hit by the proverbial bus.
>
> 2. If you are using something else that includes an ADK capability,
>    what is it?  Is it OpenPGP compliant by any chance?

Newer versions of Fedora and RHEL (and clones) use LUKS to encrypt
everything but the MBR. A LUKS-encrypted disk can have up to eight
alternative keys/passphrases.

We use it for laptops and so far have had good luck. Laptop users each
have a decrypt passphrase, and we keep another one for sysadmins
escrowed centrally.

AFAIK, it's not PGP-compliant at all, but I've never even investigated
that question.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinl...@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/